1. For optimal viewing, a computer is recommended.
2. You do not need VR goggles to view these experiences.
3. Use your mouse or your finger (for touch screen devices) to move around.
4. Hover over tags to view student projects and more details.
5. After idling for 10 seconds, the room will automatically begin to rotate.
The Un/Familiar Familiar
Aiming to highlight the School of Interior Design (SID) Year End Show’s (YES) theme; “Un/filtered”, this virtual installation recreates a familiar SID studio environment displaying students’ work and showcasing an “un/filtered” setting. This action is communicated through an illusion formed by reflected surfaces, creating an infinite space within the limited square footage. The Un/familiar Familiar invites spectators to experience a never-ending visual threshold that plays with light, textures, and foregrounds.
The interior of the installation will be nostalgic of an existing space within SID, with the reflected threshold creating an illusion that emphasizes the everlasting creativity students produce each year. The whiteness of the space helps contrast with students’ work that seemingly aligns along the sides of the installation.
By displaying both students’ work and YES identity, this installation reveals the process of design and showcases an abstract idea of the hidden perspectives within the design world.